Application deadline for 7th Ward seat passes
January 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The deadline for those interested in replacing former 7th Ward Alderman Sandi Jackson has passed.
Candidates had until 5 p.m. Friday to file applications with the mayor's office.
Jackson resigned two weeks ago saying she needs to focus on her husband, former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., who is undergoing treatment for bipolar disorder.
A commission will forward the names of at least three candidates to Mayor Emanuel, who hopes to have a new alderman sworn in by mid-February.
Emanuel will then interview candidates before making a selection.
He was scheduled to meet with the screening committee Monday.
At the close of the application process, the mayor's office received 42 complete applications for the vacant position.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Chicago FOP president suspended 1 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip 33 min ago
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 1 min ago
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor