Robin Kelly faces questions as 2nd District primary approaches
February 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On Tuesday, District 2 voters will go to the polls to choose a replacement for disgraced former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr.
Wednesday night, a candidate considered to be one of the top Democrats in the primary addressed questions that threaten to derail her political future.
Questions swirled Wednesday night about candidate Robin Kelly and whether she misreported hours she worked while Chief of Staff for Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias in 2010.
"I'm an ethical person. I'm a woman of character. I did nothing wrong," Kelly said.
At the time of the allegations, Kelly worked for Giannoulias and was also campaigning to fill the treasurer's position.
Kelly confirms that the treasurer's inspector general issued a report and recommended that she be disciplined, but adds the IG's report was not true.
"I'm not perfect," she said. "I'm not going to tell you I didn't make a mistake, but I did not do anything wrong. I turned in my time sheets. I docked my pay. I did everything I was supposed to do. That's why nothing was founded by anyone who counts."
Wednesday night, Kelly and eight other candidates answered questions about immigration, the economy, and violence during a candidates forum. Beforehand, some addressed Kelly's IG investigation.
"People just want to know that the person they elect has not a hint of scandal in their background," said Democratic candidate Debbie Halvorson.
"I think she needs to answer for her own actions and the allegations that are plaguing her campaign right now," Democratic candidate Anthony Beale said.
All this comes in the shadow of Jesse Jackson Jr.'s court appearance. Given the district's history of fallen politicians, the GOP candidates addressed the Jackson scandal during a segment on WTTW.
"I look at as one thing," said Republican candidate Paul McKinley. "I look at as it is the system. The machine produced him, it nurtured him, it manufactured him."
politics, stacey baca
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Schiller Park teen arrested, suspected in 30 Park Ridge car... 23 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery 43 min ago
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Nelson Mandela memorial draws Obama to South Africa
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos