Ads still at issue in 2nd District primary
February 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some campaign ads continue to be a major issue in the race for Tuesday's special 2nd Congressional District.
The commercials slammed Debbie Halvorson and departed candidate Toi Hutchinson for their positions on gun control.
The ads are sponsored by a political action committee funded by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Sunday a group of ministers counter-attacked, saying they were insulted by the ads and resent outsiders coming to the district and trying to influence the way voters cast their ballots.
"We're insulted to the extent that we're saying we want you to immediately take your ads off the air for they don't speak to our condition," said Bishop Lance Davis, New Zion Christian Fellowship.
Two of the three leading candidates addressed the issue of those ads.
Alderman Anthony Beale was not a target of the commercials, but he says voters are telling him they're outraged by the ads and he predicts that anger will be seen in the voting.
Halvorson voters are turned off by the commercials and Sunday she tried to tie her opponent Robin Kelly to the ads.
Kelly was also out campaigning.
She didn't talk about the ads, but when asked about a split in the African American vote said she believes people no longer vote based on race or gender.
- No CTA Red Line trains from 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan 28 min ago
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week 27 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Fire reported at South Side high-rise 10 min ago
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges 25 min ago
- Wonder Lake man charged with sexually abusing juvenile 18 min ago
- Homewood bank robbers hiding in complex, police say 45 min ago
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with... 52 min ago
- Paul Konerko signs White Sox 1-year extension 8 min ago
- La Porte County burglary ring busted 15 min ago
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
23 min ago
- La Porte County burglary ring busted
15 min ago