Mitchell among handful of black reps supporting same-sex marriage
May 29, 2013 (SPRINGFIELD, Ill.) (WLS) -- On Chicago's South Side, demonstrators opposed to same-sex marriage marched and carried placards outside the district office of State Rep. Christian Mitchell, D-Chicago.
Mitchell, however, was in Springfield during the protest. He says the demonstration will not change his support for same-sex marriage- even as black ministers spearhead efforts oppose the bill.
"The truth of the matter is, this has nothing to do with civil rights for the LGBT community," said Bishop Lance Davis, who opposes same-sex marriage.
"We're talking about civil marriage in a civil society. We're talking about the rights of free people in a democratic society to express freely who they love," said Mitchell.
Mitchell is one of only a handful of African American state representatives to publicly announce support for the marriage equality bill. After weeks of fielding robocalls- and sometimes re-elections threats from black ministers- 14 of the Black Caucus members are either against or undecided on the issue that could come up for a floor vote within the next 48 hours.
"I will make a decision one way or the other and it very well may be a game time decision," said Rep. Will Davis, D-Chicago.
Rep. Al Riley- who had been counted among the undecided- sounded like a yes vote on Wednesday.
"Government should not be in the position of discriminating against any of its citizens," said Riley, D-South Suburbs.
Still, the bill to legalize same-sex marriage appears stalled in the Illinois House. Gov. Pat Quinn has urged lawmakers to pass the bill that was approved by the Senate on Valentine's day, but House members face intense pressure from both sides of the controversial issue.
Meanwhile, the bill's sponsor remains optimistic.
"How I read this is when I put this up on the board, this is going to pass. This is what I know," said Rep. Greg Harris, D-Chicago.
politics, charles thomas
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 31 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs 41 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- ABC7 To Go, December 9, 2013
8 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
41 min ago
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey to be...
40 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos