Durbin, Kirk believe U.S. Attorney nominee Fardon should focus on gang violence
May 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Senators Dick Durbin and Mark Kirk discussed gun and gang violence in Chicago with Zachary Fardon, the nominee to be the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois.
Fardon was nominated by President Obama to fill the vacant seat left by Patrick Fitzgerald. Although the job isn't his yet, he is already hearing expectations about the role the U.S. Attorney can play in reducing violence.
Fardon, who is facing Senate approval, did not comment publicly. However, after the meeting, the senators shared what they hope will be the focus of the next U.S. Attorney.
"To coordinate efforts to stop the violent crime and murder in the Chicago area. We are appalled at the reporting of horrific crimes that are taking place in this area," said Durbin.
Kirk says recent tragedies- like the death of teen Hadiyah Pendleton- motivate him to go after gangs that bring illegal guns into the city.
Part of the discussion included looking at possible federal laws like the Rico Act, which targets organized crime.
"I think it's completely within the capability of the U.S. government to crush a major urban gang," said Kirk.
While Fitzgerald's notable cases involve the convictions of former governors, the senators maintain the next U.S. Attorney still needs to go after corruption. They say the public's trust will help make the streets safer.
"We have got to do everything in our power to stop this trafficking and straw purchasing of firearms coming into Chicago, wreaking all this havoc on our communities," said Durbin.
Meanwhile, Pendleton's parents say they will be watching to see what action comes out of the discussions.
As for the result of such federal legal action, the Crime Lab at the University of Chicago is looking at the impact of holding gang leadership accountable. The Crime Lab officials gang gun distribution is only one way that weapons get on the streets, and there are other avenues where a young person may get hold of a firearm.
politics, leah hope
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet 9 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 13 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 50 min ago
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 52 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
9 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
13 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
2 min ago