US Reps. Jan Schakowsky, Luis Gutierrez arrested during immigration rally
October 8, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- Representatives Jan Schakowsky and Luis Gutierrez were arrested during an immigration rally in Washington, D.C.
The two say they were protesting the lack of action on immigration reform by GOP leaders in the House of Representatives when the Democrats, both from Illinois, were arrested Tuesday during the Camino Americano Rally for Immigrant Dignity and Respect.
Gutierrez spoke at the event before his arrest. He urged Speaker John Boehner to take action and call for a vote on immigration reform.
"Those of us who have the piece of paper and peace of mind that ensures our return home tonight to our families must fight for those who do not have that piece of paper or that peace of mind," Gutierrez said.
About 200 people, including other lawmakers, were arrested in an act of civil disobedience.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 24 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All