House Democrats arrested: US Reps. Jan Schakowsky, Luis Gutierrez, 6 others taken into custody during immigration rally
October 9, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- House Democrats arrested during a Washington, D.C., immigration rally total at least eight, including Illinois Representatives Jan Schakowsky and Luis Gutierrez.
The two say they were protesting the lack of action on immigration reform by GOP leaders in the House of Representatives when the Democrats, both from Illinois, were arrested Tuesday during the Camino Americano Rally for Immigrant Dignity and Respect.
Gutierrez spoke at the event before his arrest. He urged Speaker John Boehner to take action and call for a vote on immigration reform.
"Those of us who have the piece of paper and peace of mind that ensures our return home tonight to our families must fight for those who do not have that piece of paper or that peace of mind," Gutierrez said.
About 200 people, at least eight of whom were House members, were arrested in an act of civil disobedience. The Democratic House members that were seen being arrested are: Charles Rangel, Luis Gutierrez, Raul Grijalva, Keith Ellison, John Crowley, Al Green, Jan Schakowsky and John Lewis.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation