House Democrats arrested: US Reps. Jan Schakowsky, Luis Gutierrez, 6 others taken into custody during immigration rally
October 9, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- House Democrats arrested during a Washington, D.C., immigration rally total at least eight, including Illinois Representatives Jan Schakowsky and Luis Gutierrez.
The two say they were protesting the lack of action on immigration reform by GOP leaders in the House of Representatives when the Democrats, both from Illinois, were arrested Tuesday during the Camino Americano Rally for Immigrant Dignity and Respect.
Gutierrez spoke at the event before his arrest. He urged Speaker John Boehner to take action and call for a vote on immigration reform.
"Those of us who have the piece of paper and peace of mind that ensures our return home tonight to our families must fight for those who do not have that piece of paper or that peace of mind," Gutierrez said.
About 200 people, at least eight of whom were House members, were arrested in an act of civil disobedience. The Democratic House members that were seen being arrested are: Charles Rangel, Luis Gutierrez, Raul Grijalva, Keith Ellison, John Crowley, Al Green, Jan Schakowsky and John Lewis.
- Boy pulled from Crystal Lake pond after 90 minutes dies 7 min ago
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging 52 min ago
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos