Bruce Rauner defends donations to Walter Payton College Prep High School in Chicago
January 13, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican candidate for governor, Bruce Rauner is defending a large donation he gave to Walter Payton College Prep High School in Chicago
Republican rivals are questioning the donation made to the selective enrollment school attended by Rauner's daughter.
Rauner's Republican primary opponents charge that Rauner made that donation in return for CPS officials admitting his daughter to an elite public high school.
''Absolutely not, this is just political muscling because we're winning the race,'' Rauner said.
The multi-millionaire businessman who lists his home address in Winnetka would not say where in Chicago his daughter lived when she attended the public Walter Payton Magnet High School between 2008 and 2012. Payton reputed to be among the best high schools, public or private in the country, with a waiting list of over seven thousand city teenagers.
''I'd like to know who didn't get in because his suburban daughter got in,'' said Senator Kirk Dillard.
The revelation that Rauner made a $250,000 donation to Payton comes on the heels of his conflicting statements on whether to lower or raise the minimum wage. His Republican primary opponents also demand answers about Rauner payments to Stuart Levine since convicted in the Blagojevich scandal and Rahm Emanuel, who made millions from a Rauner merger deal after Emanuel left the Clinton White House.
''He should just come clean and provide the voters with transparency and answers to all these questions,'' said Senator Bill Brady, who's also running for governor.
''There's nothing wrong with wealth but it's how you make it and how you use your wealth that's the story, Dillard said.
''I don't need a job and I can't be bribed or intimidated or influenced. I scare all the people in Springfield and in this race,'' Rauner said.
Rauner's daughter graduated from Payton in 2012. Since then, the family moved back to the Winnetka house, which is now listed as its primary residence.
politics, charles thomas
- Spring-like day followed by snow 33 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial 48 min ago
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket 35 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 22 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 57 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 44 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
22 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
33 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
48 min ago