Someone You Should Know
91-year-old nurse still helping others
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Nursing has been described as both a science and an art focused on maintaining life at its highest quality. No one knows that better than Catherine Washington.
Washington graduated as a nurse 69 years ago. In 1993 she became a volunteer at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is the oldest and longest serving volunteer there. Washington turns 91-years old on New Year's Day.
"After I stopped nursing when I left the operating rooms of Mount Sinai, I still wanted to be a service to someone because I felt this was a blessing and a gift given (to) me so I'm still trying to use it," said Catherine Washington, hospital volunteer.
Growing up in Maryland-- where she lived for a time with her grandmother and grandfather, who was once a slave-- she made history when she became the first black nurse in county hospitals operating room.
"I'm a country girl. At home I do all my own house work. I also shovel snow. I also wash my kitchen...and I work in the yard all summer," said Catherine Washington.
Her work has not gone unnoticed. In 2005 she received the phenomenal woman for medicine award from the Chicago Today's Black Woman Expo.
Sherry Iverson is director of the hospital's volunteer services.
"Being a volunteer at the age of 91 and coming here religiously every week& and just showing the staff and showing other volunteers that she can do it...that she has the energy and the will to do it is just an inspiration," said Sherry Iversen, director of volunteer services.
"I enjoy this. I am giving God's blessings to me. I am trying to give something back," said Catherine Washington.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant