Someone You Should Know
Gospel singer getting big exposure
April 7, 2009 (RIVERDALE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Kalind Haynes is using the power of his voice to spread spiritual messages.
His talent as a singer has placed him among the final 10 contestants of a contest on a cable TV network. ABC7's Harry Porterfield says this gospel singer is Someone You Should Know.
He is a Chicagoan who is becoming one of the country's noteworthy gospel singers by virtue of being one of 10 who could be a winner on BET's Sunday Best.
"It's amazing," said Haynes, "I get excited all the time thinking about it...it was truly an awesome experience. Good, bad, indifferent, it's something I can't forget."
Six-feet, eight-inches tall, Kalind Haynes finds himself ducking through doorways like a pro basketball player. But the similarity ends when he connects with his band and singers at his church the Shekinah Chapel in Riverdale.
Like Haunes, Jennifer Hudson was a contestant on another reality show. She didn't win but she became very successful anyway.
"I think about it all the time...it's a powerful piece...if you don't make it, you still can be victorious," said Haynes. "I am not leaning on that, but at the same time, I don't want to forget it."
A former CTA employee, the 36-year-old Haynes and his wife are the parents of three. The BET contest winner gets a Lincoln and a recording contract.
"Top 10 is a real good feeling," said Haynes. "You know the contract and the car, all of those things are great, but my job is to do God's work."
Kalind Haynes, one of 10 still in the running for the prize in the Sunday Best competition for top gospel singer, and someone you should know.
The show Sunday Best is seen each Sunday night on BET.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 9 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 14 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
9 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
36 min ago