Someone You Should Know
An artist you should know
April 16, 2009 (WLS) -- Ryan Matijevich is a real artist. Instead of a paintbrush or a chisel he picks up a chain saw to create his wooden masterpieces and the result; one of a kind sculptures. Harry Porterfield shows us why this artist is someone you should know.
The sound of the chain saw is an artistic happening signaling the creation of a sculpture. The artist is 34 year old Ryan Matijevich.
"Well I wanted statues in my yard and i couldn't afford them....I started carving logs...and basically taking out which didn't belong," Matijevich said.
Matijevich has never taken an art class. His figures are fashioned from the logs he has assembled at his work site located on Ripley near Central in Lake Station Indiana.
"That's the fun part about it...people can come to me and can have basically anything the want carved...that means something special to them...the best thing about it when they walk away happy," Matijevich said.
I notice you don't make any marking you just start with your chain saw...and go to work.
"Just visualize how that piece will fit inside the log and take out what doesn't belong," Matijevich said.
A work depicting an alligator chewing on a tire was carved from a single piece of wood for a tire store.
Matijevich will tell you he's a victim of the recession...he was once a plumber....a general contractor...did some remodeling work until the economy began to decline.
"I've always loved art...I've loved doing music...drawing...when the recession hit there was not work...it pushed me into what i loved to do...and...i should have been doing it all along," Matijevich said.
Ryan is reachable at 219-963-6077 or by e-mail at: email@example.com
You can see more of his work at the following site: http://www.chainsawsculptors.com/chainsaw/viewgallery.php?package=mindsculpting
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake