Someone You Should Know
Our Lady statue returns to Holy Name
May 5, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A steel statue called Our Lady of the New Millennium has become a source of inspiration for many.
Francine Demma's late husband, Carl, sold his business to commission the sculpture, which is currently parked at the marina trucking company for maintenance.
"He felt that in doing something like this he had the vision of seeing that it could bring people back to the church," said Francine Demma. "I've found in most of the parishes Our Lady goes to... they're in awe... they're very much in awe of Our Lady."
the figure stands 33 feet 8 inches, weighs more than 3 tons and is constructed entirely of stainless steel. In 1999, statue was taken to St. Louis and blessed by the pope during his visit there.
Our Lady was first shown at Holy Name Cathedral 10 years ago and it has traveled to hundreds of parishes since then. For its anniversary, the sculpture will return to Holy Name on May 9th and May 10th for Mother's Day.
"He wanted to leave something for Chicago. What better than our Blessed Mother? And that he would leave this legacy and a mark which he has done," said Demma. "He had the vision and he fulfilled it. As I said to you before, how many men have a dream and accomplish it and are able to share it with thousands of people? And, that's what he did."
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 5 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- New storm warning systems help save lives
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos