Someone You Should Know
Share Your Soles helps needy kids, adults
May 26, 2009 (ALSIP, Ill.) (WLS) -- Mona Purdy has put her heart and soul into an organization that provides shoes to third world countries.
Over the years, Share Your Soles has shipped tens of thousands of shoes to people who would otherwise go without them.
Purdy, who founded the organization, is receiving an international honor for her efforts.
In 1999, Purdy started storing donated shoes in her Palos Park garage she had no idea that effort would grow to a world wide dimension. Now her organization distributes donated shoes to impoverished people in more than 24 countries. An experience in Guatemala inspired her.
"I was doing a half marathon like a local run and running along side of me were little kids...and noticed that has bare feet they had the black goo on the bottom of their feet...and I asked one of the runners what's wrong with their feet...he said they put hot tar like a layer of the sole...in lieu of shoes," said Purdy.
Her work has had such an impact in Sri Lanka that the country is honoring her with a prestigious service to humanity award on June 11th.
"We were right there when the tsunami hit in Sri Lanka and we along and got trucks....and gave away every pair of shoes that we had...and now I am getting honored with my first global award," said Purdy.
When she started the effort, Purdy set her goal at collecting 1,000 pairs of shoes. In the 10 years since then, she has distributed 650,000 pairs of shoes in the United States and third world countries.
The group works out of a donated 400,000-square foot warehouse in Alsip, Ill. Share Your Soles operates with the help of several hundred volunteers each week.
"I don't know where the time (has) gone. I tell people I love Mondays. I love being here. I like all the energy. I attract great people. There's no glamour in used shoes, but the best people in my life have come into my life in the last 10 years," said Purdy.
The organization will sponsor a 5k/10k run/walk on the east lawn of Soldier Field at 9 a.m. on Sunday, May 31, 2009. For information on the event or the program, visit shareyoursoles.org/.
someone you should know
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 21 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say 9 min ago
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released 11 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- More goats found dead in Ill. animal cruelty case
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All 27 min ago