Someone You Should Know
Scholar athlete sprints toward dreams
June 2, 2009 (WLS) -- Aaliyah Brown succeeds in both sports and academics.
The suburban eighth grader hopes her talent on the track will help her get into the college of her choice- where she hopes to pursue medicine.
The 14-year-old Matteson girl is two days away from her elementary school graduation. Her dad, Angelo, coaches her. She's a national champion sprinter.
Brown succeeds in the classroom, too. She's on the honor roll at Illinois School in Park Forest school and was named to the District 162 Academic Hall of Fame.
"I want to be an anesthesiologist...a doctor," said Brown. "Because I like hands on things. I don't like surgical things. I like helping people so that's why I want to be a doctor."
A six time national champion in the AAU USA Track and Field 100- and 200- meter dash, Brown set a new state record in the 100 meter dash and 200 meter dash in Peoria on May 23rd.
"I signed her up for soccer when she was seven and I was watching her play and she was outrunning all the kids to the ball and all way down the field and I said to myself wow she's pretty fast," said Angelo Brown.
The eighth-grader is already hearing from colleges and universities.
"She's a determined focused young lady. She is a leader. She's academically successful...she makes it all very easy," said Carolyn Palmer, principal.
"I feel good that I'm an honor student and track star because you have to be a good student athlete to go to college," said Brown. "It feels good that I'm smart and fast...so it makes me know I can do what I want to do and go to the college that I want to go to."
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 56 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 49 min ago
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
49 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
56 min ago
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in...
35 min ago