Someone You Should Know
Former students congratulate teacher on award
June 9, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- After spending half a century at St. Agatha's School, Alma Sims was honored for her commitment to teaching.
Sims received the Distinguished Educator Award for her work at the West Side school.
"The years just didn't mean anything to me because it was something I enjoyed," said Alma Sims. "Every year we get our letters anytime after August 15 --about going back -- and August 15th couldn't come fast enough."
Her former students and fellow teachers were there for the presentation.
"Very loving person. But she took no nonsense, pushed us very hard. We would have three, four hours of homework. I cherish that today because it gave me the drive to be successful," said Patricia Williams, former student.
Sims taught for two years before she took the job at St. Agatha in October of 1954. She retired on June 7, 2005.
There were many students and many classes, but this teacher did have pet-- the class of 1962.
"It was something about that class that touched me. They were attentive& and, the main thing, they were education-oriented," said Sims.
"You know, she taught just about everybody in my family& quite a few of us. And that is outstanding, so many years, so much dedication," said John Lewis, Class of 1962.
"I feel that every class I had I was able to do something for each one that helped them to be where they are today," said Sims.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos