Someone You Should Know
Teacher offers students a new beat
June 25, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Lillian Friedberg has struck a beat with young people.
Friedberg has combined her passion for teaching with her love of playing African drums.
The kids are students of Friedberg who was taught by a master drummer from Guinea West Africa. They play a rhythm of the ages and perform it today just as it was centuries ago in that country.p> Friedberg, who was taught by a master drummer from Guinea West Africa, now teaches Chicago students. They play a rhythm of the ages and perform it today just as it was centuries ago in that country.
"I began studying with master drummer Famuducanate who is considered the best in the world on this instrument. I studied with him for many years in Europe before I returned to the United States," said Friedberg.
Hooked on drums classes are held at Kennicott Park on Lake Park Avenue in the Kenwood neighborhood.
"What I like about hooked on drums I like that I can express myself with the drums," said drum student Anana Upton.
Students enjoy the drum lessons Friedburg provides.
"It feels good to play this," said drum student Malik Lacey. "All of this tradition and all the stuff I'm learning and all the patterns and beats."
Student Linda Garcia believes the lessons offer something even greater than a musical lesson.
"I'm getting to know the people in this room that I've never met before and I'm accomplishing many challenges," said Linda Garcia.
During the year, Friedburg will teach 300 students at four Chicago schools along with after school classes she conducts at Kennicott Park.
"I think that it offers a lot of many things," said drum student mother Katharyn Houke-Smith, "Obviously it teaches the music of West Africa; the native music but it also teaches a lot of teamwork."
Friedman, a Ph.D., was once a german professor at UIC teaching.
"It was not my calling. And I just love working with kids. I love working with these drums, I love working in this community and I don't need rally anything else. So it fills, you know, it fulfills my needs and makes me happy," said Friedberg.
For more information about Hooked on Drums, please visit:www.hookedondrums.org..
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 39 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- EB 80/94 closed at Cline by multi-vehicle crash 17 min ago
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- Skokie fire lights up sky
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
39 min ago