Someone You Should Know
Teacher remembers young Michael Jackson
July 7, 2009 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- Michael Jackson had millions of fans- but only one kindergarten teacher.
Felecia Childress, 92, taught Jackson in Gary, Ind.
"I think I remember his eyes because he was so happy and he was almost bouncing around the room...and I remember Michael was the center of a lot of attention," said Childress.
Childress said it is not generally known, but Jackson had a slight speech impediment.
"Michael had this stammer, but when he sang he would not miss a note and his pitch was perfect. He must have had an excellent ear because his little voice was just right on tune and everything you know and he was happy," said Childress.
Jackson attended Garrett Elementary School and when he shot to stardom at such a young age, Childress said she felt for him.
"My heart ached for him because I remember the joy that he had mixing with his little friends, but it was so short lived. He didn't have time to be a child. H e just had to leave all of that behind and go to the serious part of life. And, that bothered me because I felt you know that's the way you learn so much about your relationships; is how you play."
Her heart ached again when Jackson died at 50.
"I thought what an awful, awful waste...because here was a man who could have accomplished even more than he had," said Childress.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 44 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Lawmakers say DCFS faces 'horrendous' challenges 35 min ago
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Miley Cyrus, 'Bangerz' tour stops in Chicago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Set clocks ahead 1 hour for daylight savings
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD