Someone You Should Know
Seniors turn to art after retirement
July 9, 2009 (CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- You're never too old to find a new hobby or develop a new skill.
Just ask members of a senior art class in Carpentersville. They've become artists in their retirement years and they're enjoying every minute of it.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever. But how long does it take to develop a thing of beauty? This work was created by Karen Murray who had no formal art training before retirement.
"It's fun to give the art away. I don't sell a lot of my stuff with all the time you put into it. I'd rather give it to them. I give a lot to my family," said Karen Murray.
Bernice Bradley is a retired machine operator.
"You know what I wish I could to back to high school because I probably would have taken some art classes," said Bradley.
The artists are members of Dundee Senior Center Art Class in Carpentersville. They display their work in gallery form at The Garlands Of Barrington.
Roger Friewer started the painting class for seniors 18 years ago.
"I like to see the results of what I do in putting it on canvas. It's what I really get out of painting with not a small brush, not a large brush, but all the brushes," said Roger Friewer, artist.
"For one thing you become acutely aware of things in nature, things that are surrounding people...faces..people's bodies& Different things you use to take for granted. Now, suddenly, gee that's something I might want to put in a painting," said Pat Spooner.
Debbie Weaver instructs the group.
"I can't say enough about them. They're happy to see me for one thing...I'm always kind of going around," said Weaver. "It's like you feel good to be needed in that respect. And I'm glad to be able to give it to them."
The work will be on public view at the Gallery at the Gardens in Barrington from 11 to 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 12, 2009.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos