Someone You Should Know
Big band keeping jazz spirit alive
July 14, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- There is a big band in Chicago that's making history along with its years of making music.
The Chicago Jazz Orchestra is the longest continuous local big jazz band in the city. Its members have been making music in Chicago for more than 30 years.
The big band era is enshrined in history, but the spirit of that period lives on in Jeff Lindberg's Chicago Jazz Orchestra. Now, after more than 30 years, the band plays on.
"This band really started out as a rehearsal band on the streets of Chicago. We sort of pulled ourselves up by our boot straps and we started playing at some major festivals," said Jeff Lindberg, band music director.
A professor of music at the College of Wooster, in Wooster, Ohio, Lindberg travels 380 miles each week to lead the musicians on Mondays at Andy's.
Several members of the orchestra who played with Count Basie are reminded of that experience.
"The enthusiasm, the precision that this band achieves and the camaraderie, all of that is reminiscent of my time with the Basie band, so that's what brings the joy out of this experience every Monday night," said T.S Galloway, former Basie band member.
"I was one of the original members of the band back when they started and I enjoy it...These are a bunch of good guys. I truly enjoy it," said Eric Schneider, former Basie band member.
"It's part of my heart and soul, and so I've got to keep it going," said Lindberg.
Members of Jeff Lindberg's Chicago Jazz Orchestra, some musicians you should know. And to learn more about the band log on to www.chicagojazzorchestra.com.
someone you should know, harry porterfield
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 52 min ago
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 37 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos