Slipping Sox desperate for a win
CHICAGO (WLS) -- The White Sox are desperate for a win Friday night as they host the Cleveland Indians. The South Siders are now a half-game behind the Minnesota Twins after being swept in the Twin Cities. Sox fans are hopeful but know it's now or never for the playoffs.
It was brutal Thursday night for Sox fans watching the Twins come back from a 6-1 deficit. But the Sox are not out of the race. But they can't afford another loss.
Sox fans arrived early at the Cell Friday afternoon, firing up the grill, playing a little cornhole and, of course, having a few drinks. These are the diehard fans who believe the Sox are going to find a way to pull this off.
Friday night's game is almost sold out, but the Sox may need help from Kansas City -- hopefully they can take a game or two from the Twins this weekend. Fans, though, are optimistic.
"Well, they win tonight, they're back in first. If Minnesota loses and then we have to hope for them to keep losing. Maybe they hit their bad time now," said Dolly Andrews, White Sox fan.
"I think they could sweep the Indians, and then the Twins lose at least two games," said Matthew Evans, White Sox fan.
"We need to sweep five games, I think. That's probably what it's going to come down to. Because, I think, Minnesota will probably take care of the Royals up in Minnesota. But if we take care of five games here, I think it can be done," said Joe Montgomery, White Sox fan.
There are a lot of ways it can still happen. But the easiest way to think of it, after this weekend's games, if the Sox and Twins are still a half game apart, then the Sox will play a makeup game against the Tigers. After that game, if the Sox are still tied with the Twins, then the Sox will play the Twins in a one-game playoff. So it's possible that the Sox could play another five games.
By the way, the last time the Sox won five straight was August 16 to August 20. They may have to do that again.
sports, dan ponce
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash 18 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 20 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 36 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan 36 min ago
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
18 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos