Oddsmakers favor Chicago in 2016 race
February 18, 2009 (WLS) -- Online betting sites are giving Chicago the edge in the high-stakes race to win the right to the host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Several overseas-based betting sites list Chicago as the odds-on favorite, predicting President Barack Obama will give his hometown an edge. The sites also note that in 2016 it will have been 20 years since an American city played host to the Games.
One site lists Chicago's odds of landing the Olympics at 8-to-11, better than even. The second favorite with bookies is Tokyo (3:1), followed by Rio (7:2) and Madrid (8:1).
sports, ben bradley
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school closes for good
- Hawks fans anxiously awaited OT goal, tied series
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in Game 4 OT, tie series 2-2
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit