Oddsmakers favor Chicago in 2016 race
February 18, 2009 (WLS) -- Online betting sites are giving Chicago the edge in the high-stakes race to win the right to the host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Several overseas-based betting sites list Chicago as the odds-on favorite, predicting President Barack Obama will give his hometown an edge. The sites also note that in 2016 it will have been 20 years since an American city played host to the Games.
One site lists Chicago's odds of landing the Olympics at 8-to-11, better than even. The second favorite with bookies is Tokyo (3:1), followed by Rio (7:2) and Madrid (8:1).
sports, ben bradley
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 56 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George 57 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout 46 min ago
- Bulls fans ready for start of playoffs
55 min ago