Oddsmakers favor Chicago in 2016 race
February 18, 2009 (WLS) -- Online betting sites are giving Chicago the edge in the high-stakes race to win the right to the host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Several overseas-based betting sites list Chicago as the odds-on favorite, predicting President Barack Obama will give his hometown an edge. The sites also note that in 2016 it will have been 20 years since an American city played host to the Games.
One site lists Chicago's odds of landing the Olympics at 8-to-11, better than even. The second favorite with bookies is Tokyo (3:1), followed by Rio (7:2) and Madrid (8:1).
sports, ben bradley
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor