7 on Your Sideline: DePaul's Keisha Hampton
November 13, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With three hour practices and travel times to play games, one would think that athletes don't have time to be students.
If you used that assumption with DePaul University Lady Blue Demons' senior Keisha Hampton, you would be wrong.
The Philadelphia native has been a member of the BIG EAST All-Academic Team every year she's been on the DePaul campus, and she is just as talented on the court.
"Keisha has just been a joy to coach because she's coachable. She's very competitive. The first characteristic that comes to mind when I think of Keisha is her competitiveness," said Coach Doug Bruno. "She's a very versatile player and a very competitive player, and Keish knows that last year, people had a lot of other folks on our team that they had to focus on and now they're going to start their scouting reports with Keisha Hampton."
Hampton has also been on DePaul's Dean's List twice and has a 3.185 cumulative GPA. So while she dominates the court and classroom, only one gives her the jitters.
"Actually it's more nervous in that class than on a basketball court. On the basketball court I'm so comfortable, I feel like this is my home, this is what I do on the basketball court; but when I'm in class speaking, I get a little nervous I start sweating a lot, it's funny," Hampton said.
"Keisha seems very dedicated, not only to athletics, but, also to her education here at DePaul. I think she realizes she's been given a gift as an athlete to receive an education at a great institution. Keisha has been an asset to the class," said DePaul Professor Kristen Pengelly.
"Hopefully, after this season I get a chance to get drafted and play in the WNBA. That's definitely a dream of mine, but, when all that's done I have to fall back on something and being a sportscaster is something I plan to do," Hampton said.
ABC7 is featuring interesting sports stories throughout the area in a new segment called "7 on Your Sideline." If you have a suggestion for a story, let us know on the ABC7 Chicago Facebook page.
7 on your sideline, sports, jim rose
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Man shot in Lincoln Square 36 min ago
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass 9 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos