New Bears receiver candid about disorder
March 12, 2012 (LAKE FOREST, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Bears introduced their newest player at Halas Hall Friday. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall comes to town facing allegations that he hit a woman at a nightclub in New York.
Marshall said he battles a disorder that affects him on and off the field.
He is a big 6-foot-4 235-pound target that made Jay Cutler extremely happy in Denver. Marshall represents a huge upgrade to the Bears wide receiver corps and Friday afternoon at Halas Hall, he met the tough Chicago media for the first time, and he passed that test with flying colors.
Marshall's off-field troubles are well documented. He explained that those troubles were the manifestation of a mental illness called borderline personality disorder that he now has under control through therapy.
At times he was engaging and very well spoken when addressing, head-on, the disorder that almost ruined his career. Marshall was grilled about staying out of trouble.
When asked by ABC7 if he would guarantee that his past was behind him, Marshall didn't go that far, but did say that he could only be responsible for what he does, not what others do to him.
sports, jim rose
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 2 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back 45 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues 41 min ago
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan... 48 min ago
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Eataly Chicago closes for day- one week after opening
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64 49 min ago
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913 7 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
54 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
2 min ago
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest...
10 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a...
45 min ago