40,000 expected to run in Shamrock Shuffle
March 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle road race takes place this weekend. Forty-thousand runners will take part, making it the city's second largest race behind the marathon.
It's more than just a race. In Chicago, the Shamrock Shuffle has become an event. The expo has a carnival-like atmosphere as vendors market their products to 40,000 runners.
In its 33-year history, the shamrock Shuffle has grown to become the world's largest 8K race. That's just a smidge shorter than five miles.
"It's the traditional rite of spring," said race director Carey Pinkowski. "There is such a legacy of people who ran 10 or 15 years ago and are getting away from running and are coming back."
There are plenty of rookies as well, including Nikki Doig.
"It's a bucket list item. Figured I would do it, and never do it again," said Doig.
Tera Moody has won the race twice, but can relate to the average runners as well.
"It's a really fun event. It's low-key. I think it's a little bit more accessible to people than the marathon," said Moody.
"There are serious runners as well, but it's about having fun, and that's why I run," said Shamrock veteran Sharon Slover.
A new wrinkle this year is a media challenge, with teams of media -- including this reporter -- competing to have Nike and Bank of America donate $10,000 to the park district in their name. But we'll all be well behind the favorite, four-time U.S. Olympian marathoner Abdi Abdirahman.
"I'll say I let them win," Abdirahman said.
The course traverses through the Loop -- including past the ABC 7 Studios -- on State Street. That means there will be some road closures. That's also a rite of spring.
sports, john garcia
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 5 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: 2 males found dead in South Side residence
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park 43 min ago
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house 16 min ago
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches 49 min ago
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake