Chicago Sky celebrate Title IX anniversary
June 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Sky took time away from the basketball court Wednesday to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Title IX.
Title IX is the landmark law that requires gender equity in every educational program that receives federal funding.
A celebration was held Wednesday at the Thompson Center.
Illinois Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon proclaimed Wednesday Title IX Day in Illinois. Simon was joined by Sky players and several other admirable Chicago women.
"Thanks to Title IX, women are included in the game," Simon said. "Thanks to Title IX, women's participation and girls participation in sports went from 4 percent all the way up to 40 percent now."
Supporters of Title IX say there has been significant progress but there is still a long way to go.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos