Chicago Sky celebrate Title IX anniversary
June 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Sky took time away from the basketball court Wednesday to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Title IX.
Title IX is the landmark law that requires gender equity in every educational program that receives federal funding.
A celebration was held Wednesday at the Thompson Center.
Illinois Lieutenant Governor Sheila Simon proclaimed Wednesday Title IX Day in Illinois. Simon was joined by Sky players and several other admirable Chicago women.
"Thanks to Title IX, women are included in the game," Simon said. "Thanks to Title IX, women's participation and girls participation in sports went from 4 percent all the way up to 40 percent now."
Supporters of Title IX say there has been significant progress but there is still a long way to go.
- Teachers march to protest proposed school closings
- Last-minute fortune seekers buy Powerball tickets 42 min ago
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb 51 min ago
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured 52 min ago
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety 10 min ago
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- Last-minute fortune seekers buy Powerball...
42 min ago