Alex Smith out for 49ers against Chicago Bears
November 19, 2012 (SAN FRANCISCO) (WLS) -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith will not play Monday night against the Chicago Bears because he was unable to get clearance from a neurologist one week after suffering a concussion, according to sources.San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith will not play Monday night against the Chicago Bears because he was unable to get clearance from a neurologist one week after suffering a concussion, according to sources.
Colin Kaepernick will start in Smith's place in a game that also will feature Jason Campbell as the Bears' starter because Jay Cutler has been declared out, also because of a concussion.
Smith, who is ranked third in the NFL with a 104.1 passer rating, practiced in a noncontact black jersey last week and took part in most of the drills involving the first-team offense.
Smith, who has made 28 consecutive starts, was injured during the first half of a 24-24 tie with the St. Louis Rams in Week 10 and left the game midway through the second quarter.
Kaepernick replaced Smith after the injury and was 11-of-17 for 117 yards and rushed for 66 yards and a touchdown against St. Louis.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 19 min ago
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 27 min ago
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
27 min ago