Alex Smith out for 49ers against Chicago Bears
November 19, 2012 (SAN FRANCISCO) (WLS) -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith will not play Monday night against the Chicago Bears because he was unable to get clearance from a neurologist one week after suffering a concussion, according to sources.San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith will not play Monday night against the Chicago Bears because he was unable to get clearance from a neurologist one week after suffering a concussion, according to sources.
Colin Kaepernick will start in Smith's place in a game that also will feature Jason Campbell as the Bears' starter because Jay Cutler has been declared out, also because of a concussion.
Smith, who is ranked third in the NFL with a 104.1 passer rating, practiced in a noncontact black jersey last week and took part in most of the drills involving the first-team offense.
Smith, who has made 28 consecutive starts, was injured during the first half of a 24-24 tie with the St. Louis Rams in Week 10 and left the game midway through the second quarter.
Kaepernick replaced Smith after the injury and was 11-of-17 for 117 yards and rushed for 66 yards and a touchdown against St. Louis.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games 20 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home