NIU headed to Orange Bowl
December 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Northern Illinois has busted the BCS, and is heading to the Orange Bowl.
The Mid-American champions (12-1) finished 15th in the final Bowl Championship Series standings. Finishing in the top 16 and ahead of a qualifying conference champion meant the Huskies were automatically BCS-bound, and they'll play Atlantic Coast Conference champion Florida State (11-2) on Jan. 1 in Miami.
Northern Illinois actually finished ahead of two conference titlists, Big East winner Louisville and Big Ten champion Wisconsin.
The Huskies beat Kent State for the MAC title on Friday night.
Dave Doeren will not coach the Huskies in the Orange Bowl. He was hired Saturday as the new coach at North Carolina State.
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in Central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Cold weather brings flight delays, cancellations
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport