NIU headed to Orange Bowl
December 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Northern Illinois has busted the BCS, and is heading to the Orange Bowl.
The Mid-American champions (12-1) finished 15th in the final Bowl Championship Series standings. Finishing in the top 16 and ahead of a qualifying conference champion meant the Huskies were automatically BCS-bound, and they'll play Atlantic Coast Conference champion Florida State (11-2) on Jan. 1 in Miami.
Northern Illinois actually finished ahead of two conference titlists, Big East winner Louisville and Big Ten champion Wisconsin.
The Huskies beat Kent State for the MAC title on Friday night.
Dave Doeren will not coach the Huskies in the Orange Bowl. He was hired Saturday as the new coach at North Carolina State.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 10 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
8 min ago