NIU headed to Orange Bowl
December 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Northern Illinois has busted the BCS, and is heading to the Orange Bowl.
The Mid-American champions (12-1) finished 15th in the final Bowl Championship Series standings. Finishing in the top 16 and ahead of a qualifying conference champion meant the Huskies were automatically BCS-bound, and they'll play Atlantic Coast Conference champion Florida State (11-2) on Jan. 1 in Miami.
Northern Illinois actually finished ahead of two conference titlists, Big East winner Louisville and Big Ten champion Wisconsin.
The Huskies beat Kent State for the MAC title on Friday night.
Dave Doeren will not coach the Huskies in the Orange Bowl. He was hired Saturday as the new coach at North Carolina State.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 20 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 28 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 7 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 7 min ago
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
20 min ago
- Daily Herald: Long-time Married Couples
15 min ago
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos