Jerry Buss, Lakers owner, in intensive care for cancer treatment
February 15, 2013 (LOS ANGELES) -- There is growing concern for Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss. KABC in Los Angeles has confirmed he is in intensive care, battling an undisclosed form of cancer.
The 79-year-old was admitted Thursday to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he is undergoing chemotherapy.
There are some reports that he only has a few days to live.
Buss bought the Lakers back in 1979 and quickly built the team into a champion. In fact, the team has won 10 championships under his ownership. He has had a huge impact on the game, certainly building the Lakers into one of the greatest sports franchises in NBA history.
"He knows exactly what he wants to do and how he wants to construct the ball club and he was extremely, extremely smart in going about it. It's very rare to find that kind of owner that can really, seemingly not make any mistakes. It's pretty impressive," said Kobe Bryant.
Other players reacted to Buss' illness online.
"Dr. Buss is an important part of the Laker family so I hope his stay at the hospital is short and he has a speedy recovery. #JerryBuss," five-time champion Kareem Abdul-Jabbar posted on his Twitter account.
Three-time champ Shaquille O'Neal also posted on Twitter, "Dr. Jerry Buss, thinking about u & wish I could be there, get well soon. I can't wait to see you on 4/2/13. #LoveYou #Lakers"
"4/2/13" is a reference to when O'Neal's jersey will be retired by the Lakers.
There is no official comment on Buss' condition from the Lakers.
Buss has been hospitalized several times in recent years, including a stint last July for dehydration. He was treated for blood clots in his legs in December 2011.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody... 57 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand