Matt Cassel signs with Vikings
March 14, 2013 (MINNEAPOLIS) -- A person with knowledge of the deal says the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with quarterback Matt Cassel.
The Vikings and Cassel came to agreement on Thursday, the same day he was formally released by the Kansas City Chiefs with two years left on his contract. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal, first reported by Fox Sports, has not been announced.
Cassel spent the last four years in Kansas City. He completed 58 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards with six touchdowns and 12 interceptions in nine games last year.
Cassel will replace Joe Webb as Christian Ponder's backup. Ponder has been inconsistent his first two seasons, but GM Rick Spielman said when the season ended that Ponder is the starter for 2013.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 32 min ago
- Skokie fire lights up sky 18 min ago
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant 31 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
4 min ago