Matt Cassel signs with Vikings
March 14, 2013 (MINNEAPOLIS) -- A person with knowledge of the deal says the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with quarterback Matt Cassel.
The Vikings and Cassel came to agreement on Thursday, the same day he was formally released by the Kansas City Chiefs with two years left on his contract. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal, first reported by Fox Sports, has not been announced.
Cassel spent the last four years in Kansas City. He completed 58 percent of his passes for 1,796 yards with six touchdowns and 12 interceptions in nine games last year.
Cassel will replace Joe Webb as Christian Ponder's backup. Ponder has been inconsistent his first two seasons, but GM Rick Spielman said when the season ended that Ponder is the starter for 2013.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home