Rio de Janeiro suffering setbacks ahead of 2016 Games
March 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- From the ''be careful what you wish for'' category: Rio de Janeiro is encountering an avalanche of problems as it prepares to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
The city that bested Chicago to host the Games this week announced structural problems will force the closing of a brand-new soccer stadium and the United Nations is being called in to finish construction on another venue.
The 60,000 seat Joao Havelange stadium in Rio is just six years old but newly discovered roof problems could put crowds in danger.
"I asked if this represented a risk for spectators and they told me it did, depending on the wind speed and temperature," Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes told reporters. "On that basis, I immediately decided to close the stadium until we had more details."
The stadium, roughly the size of Chicago's Soldier Field, was built just before the Pan-American Games in 2007 and featured prominently in Rio's pitch to host the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016.
Earlier this month, the Brazilian government agreed to pay the United Nations $17.6 million to help finish a new soccer stadium in Brasilia.
The IOC says it is "absolutely confident" in Rio's preparations for the 2016 Olympics despite the temporary closure of the stadium that will host track and field events at the games.
International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams says the IOC is "in regular contact with Rio 2016."
Adams tells The Associated Press "there are still more than 3½ years to go before the games and we are absolutely confident that they will deliver."
Track and field's governing body said it is monitoring the situation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
sports, ben bradley
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 24 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 4 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 3 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
54 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
4 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
3 min ago