Forbes: Cubs worth a billion dollars
March 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Cubs are Major League Baseball's fourth most valuable team, worth $1 billion, according to a survey released by Forbes on Wednesday.
- STORY: Wrigleyville residents, city battle ballpark on renovations
- LINK: Forbes' Baseball Team Valuations 2013
The Ricketts family paid about $900 million for the Cubs in 2009 in a deal that included historic Wrigley Field. Last year, the business magazine put the team's value at a mere $879 million.
For the 16th consecutive year, the New York Yankees are baseball's most valuable team, appraised at $2.3 billion, more than triple the average MLB team value.
Forbes ranked the White Sox as MLB's 11th most valuable team. The magazine estimates the South Side club's current value is $692 million.
The average MLB team is worth $744 million, according to Forbes, a 23 percent boost from last year.The Los Angeles Dodgers ranked second on the list ($1.6 billion). The Boston Red Sox came in third ($1.3 billion), followed by the Cubs ($1 billion) and the Philadelphia Phillies ($893 million) rounding out the top five.
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party 44 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead 57 min ago
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 43 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
43 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos