Snow postpones horse track opening day
March 28, 2013 (COLLINSVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Opening day has been delayed at an Illinois horse race track because of a spring snowstorm.
For the first time in its 87-year history, Fairmount Park in Collinsville has had to postpone opening day.
Snow and ice has to be removed gently because the track is made of several layers.
Caretakers must then inspect all the other materials that make up the track to ensure it is safe.
Opening day was supposed to be Tuesday. It has been moved to Friday.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds