Kyle Long introduced to Bears fans, reporters at Halas Hall
April 26, 2013 (LAKE FOREST, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Chicago Bears formally introduced surprising top draft pick Kyle Long to local media in Lake Forest Friday afternoon.
It's been a rough road to Halas Hall For Long: living in the shadow of his father, Howie Long, and brother, Rams defensive end Chris Long, overcoming academic, drug and alcohol issues.
Now Long has to face the scrutiny of a cynical Chicago media and unimpressed fan base."I'm looking forward to earning the respect of my teammates," Long said.
Long was a surprise and somewhat disappointing first pick to a lot of Bears fans reporters, but Bears GM Phil Emery claims he had the pedigreed Oregon guard targeted all along.
"Very clear statement that we wanted this player," general manager Phil Emery said Thursday. "The draft's not over, so we'll have other opportunities at those other positions. This is the player we wanted."
Long will wear number 75.
sports, rafer weigel
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds