Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
May 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Bears will retire Mike Ditka's jersey No. 89 this season.
Ditka confirmed earlier reports on ESPN Radio Friday morning.
The jersey will be retired December 9 during a Monday Night Football game against the Dallas Cowboys at Soldier Field.
The former tight end last played for the Bears 47 years ago and also coached the team to its Super Bowl victory.
"Mike Ditka embodies the spirit of everything the Bears are about," Chairman George H. McCaskey said in a statement released by the team. "He's an icon. The last time we won the championship Mike Ditka was our coach and the last time we won before that Mike Ditka was a player.Ditka played for the Bears for six seasons. He will be the 14th Bears player to have his number retired.
"It's a tremendous honor," Ditka said in the release. "It's something that I didn't anticipate or expect, but it's a great honor. When you think of all the great Bears players who have had their jerseys retired, I can't say that there's any greater honor.
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos