Local Olympian gets surprise sendoff; Highland Park figure skater Jason Brown on way to Sochi, Russia for 2014 Winter Olympic Games
February 2, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A big surprise Sunday night for a Highland Park native headed to Russia as friends and family surprised figure skater Jason Brown when he arrived at O'Hare International Airport for a layover.
Brown was coming from Colorado where he had been training.
While he knew his parents would be there he didn't expect the large crowd that turned out to wish him well.
"Oh my God this was so not expected," Brown said. "I thought I was coming down to meet my parents so I could say goodbye before I leave. And it was so much more and it was incredible. And you guys are the best and I couldn't do anything without you all and your support."
The mayor of Highland Park recently declared February 7 Jason Brown Day. The 19-year-old is a 2013 graduate of Highland Park High School.
Brown's mother says the family could not be prouder.
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand