Local Olympian gets surprise sendoff; Highland Park figure skater Jason Brown on way to Sochi, Russia for 2014 Winter Olympic Games
February 2, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A big surprise Sunday night for a Highland Park native headed to Russia as friends and family surprised figure skater Jason Brown when he arrived at O'Hare International Airport for a layover.
Brown was coming from Colorado where he had been training.
While he knew his parents would be there he didn't expect the large crowd that turned out to wish him well.
"Oh my God this was so not expected," Brown said. "I thought I was coming down to meet my parents so I could say goodbye before I leave. And it was so much more and it was incredible. And you guys are the best and I couldn't do anything without you all and your support."
The mayor of Highland Park recently declared February 7 Jason Brown Day. The 19-year-old is a 2013 graduate of Highland Park High School.
Brown's mother says the family could not be prouder.
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path 52 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan 28 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 23 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string 21 min ago
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
- AAPL shareholders to see Apple stock split
- ABC7 to Go
26 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square...
24 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos