Highland Park figure skater Jason Brown returns from Sochi, Russia 2014 Winter Olympic Games
February 25, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- After winning an Olympic medal at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, figure skater and Highland Park native Jason Brown has returned home and on Tuesday, he received a hero's welcome in the north suburbs.
Hundreds of Highland Park High School students welcome home Olympian Jason Brown who won a bronze medal for team figure skating. Highland Park's mayor presented Brown with a key to the city.
''It is amazing, and that is what is so crazy, if you told me a year ago I would be an Olympian, I would like wow that is not possible,'' Brown said. ''It is surreal being back, it is such an honor to be in this community and share the moment with them,'' he said.
''It is incredible seeing him up there in front of the school, it is amazing,'' said student Sam Brien.
Brown told the crowd that even when he did not do well in competitions he never gave up and instead learned from his failures.
''Learning from those experiences makes you stronger and makes your successes so much greater ,'' Brown said.
Brown said he hopes to participate in future Olympic games.
sports, theresa gutierrez
- Video: Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's Day 51 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force 42 min ago
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- 'Louder Than A Bomb' Poetry Slam
- Mercy Home For Boys & Girls 36 min ago
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...
- Chicago River dyed green for St. Patrick's...
51 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
42 min ago