SIU's Hinson out 1 game after family death
Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson will miss the Salukis' road game against Miami (Ohio) on Sunday following the death of his son-in-law.
Niles Thomason, husband of Hinson's daughter Tiffany, died suddenly while visiting family in Carbondale, Ill., on Wednesday. The Jackson County coroner's office said Friday the 31-year-old Thomason, who lived in Colorado, died of natural causes.
SIU spokesman Tom Weber said Hinson plans to coach the Salukis' home game against Wichita State on Thursday. Associate head coach Tom Hankins will be in charge for the Miami game.
Miami (Ohio) announced Thursday that sophomore guard Reggie Johnson has left the program after losing his spot as a starter. Sunday's game will also mark the debut of Oregon transfer Willie Moore, who served a nine-game NCAA suspension to start the season.
Hinson made headlines last week for his animated news conference in which he called his players "a bunch of mama's boys" after a loss at Murray State. He publicly apologized for singling out a player for criticism in his comments.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos