Source: Charlotte declines offer from Sun Belt
The UNC Charlotte 49ers have declined an offer to join the Sun Belt Conference, according to a source. The 49ers are eyeing a bid to Conference USA, the source said.The UNC Charlotte 49ers have declined an offer to join the Sun Belt Conference, according to a source.
The 49ers, who are in the Atlantic 10, are eyeing a bid to Conference USA, the source said.
A source with knowledge of the A-10's plans said the league expects Charlotte to leave, possibly as early as 2013 but it could be 2014.
Charlotte has approved football for the 2013 season and, were it to join the Sun Belt, would have given the conference a 12th football-playing school and a 13th school overall with the Sun Belt's recent addition of Georgia State for 2013.
For its part, C-USA is prepared to welcome in Texas-San Antonio ahead of a planned merger with the Mountain West Conference.
That proposed move would create a new league with up to 24 schools.
C-USA's actions come in the wake of losing Houston, SMU, Memphis and Central Florida all to the Big East.
- Friends, family of murder victim pray to end the violence
- Pets from Oklahoma shelter headed to Chicago for adoption
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in McHenry County
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings
- Notre Dame QB Golson no longer enrolled at school
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos