Iowa to play in Bahamas instead of Alaska
The Iowa men's basketball team has ditched Alaska in favor of the Bahamas.IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Iowa men's basketball team has ditched Alaska in favor of the Bahamas.
The Hawkeyes announced Thursday that they've pulled out of the Great Alaska Shootout and will instead play in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament on Paradise Island in the Bahamas from Nov. 28-30.
The move should add strength to Iowa's nonconference schedule. The field for the Bahamas also includes Kansas, Tennessee, Villanova, USC, Wake Forest, UTEP and Xavier. The Great Alaska Shootout brackets are filled mostly with mid-major programs like Indiana State and Pepperdine.
The Hawkeyes hurt their NCAA tournament chances last season by playing a soft nonconference slate. But Iowa will play at Iowa State, host an undetermined ACC school and play in the more prestigious Bahamas tourney next year.
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 1 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77
13 min ago
- Divvy Week kicks off in Chicago
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos