Paul, top freshman in MAC, to transfer to Illini
Western Michigan freshman forward Darius Paul announced on Twitter on Saturday he will be following in his older brother Brandon's footsteps and will transfer to Illinois.Western Michigan freshman forward Darius Paul announced on Twitter on Saturday that he will follow in his older brother Brandon's footsteps and transfer to Illinois.
Darius Paul, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward, was the MAC Freshman of the Year averaging 10.4 points and 5.7 rebounds last season. He decided to transfer because of a coaching staff change and the desire to play at a higher level, according to his mother.
Darius also had offers from Florida, Iowa State, Marquette, Miami (Fla.), Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada and others since receiving his release from Western Michigan. He will have to sit out next season per NCAA rules and will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Darius attended Illinois' postseason banquet with Brandon, an Illinois senior, on Saturday. Brandon, a 6-4 guard, started 89 games in four seasons for the Illini. He was voted an All-Big Ten third-team selection as a junior and a senior.
Paul's mother, Lynda, wrote in an email last week that she would be OK if Darius decided on Illinois.
"If Illinois wants Darius, we would be very happy to give Darius our blessings to go there," Lynda wrote. "We love the University of Illinois and the current coaching staff."
Illinois has received five transfers since coach John Groce took over the program prior to last season. Rayvonte Rice (Drake) and Sam McLaurin (Coastal Carolina) joined the team before the season.
The Illini's 2013 recruiting class, ranked No. 18 by ESPN, also includes five high school seniors -- shooting guard Kendrick Nunn, small forward Malcolm Hill, power forward Austin Colbert, center Maverick Morgan and point guard Jaylon Tate.
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up 59 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 53 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital 46 min ago
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
11 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
6 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos