NCAA suspends Mulkey for criticizing officials
Baylor basketball coach Kim Mulkey was suspended from her team's next NCAA tournament game for criticizing the officiating after a loss to Louisville last spring.INDIANAPOLIS -- Baylor basketball coach Kim Mulkey was suspended from her team's next NCAA tournament game for criticizing the officiating after a loss to Louisville last spring.
The NCAA on Monday also reprimanded Mulkey and withheld Baylor's team championship per diem from the regional round.
After Louisville upset top-seeded Baylor 82-81 in March, Mulkey said the game was far too physical and she singled out the officials.
"I thought that all three of them, if they go past this round of officiating, it will be sad for the game," she said then. "I thought the two critical calls at the end of the game were really bad."
The NCAA said it was issuing a more severe penalty because Mulkey is a repeat offender. She was reprimanded in 2011 for criticizing the NCAA for the decision to put the Lady Bears in the same tournament bracket with Texas A&M, a team they had faced three times already that season. The Aggies beat Baylor on their way to the national title.
The NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee said the "latest misconduct act by Mulkey" warranted the more stringent suspension.
"The committee unanimously felt that the behavior of Coach Mulkey was unacceptable and has no place in the women's basketball championship," said Carolayne Henry, committee chair and senior associate commissioner for the Mountain West Conference.
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind. 1 min ago
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid 9 min ago
- CTA eyes Red Line extension proposals 4 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 45 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos