Irish's Achonwa has surgery, out 4-6 weeks
Notre Dame forward Natalie Achonwa is likely out for more than a month with a knee injury.
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame forward Natalie Achonwa is likely out for more than a month with a knee injury, coach Muffet McGraw said.
Achonwa underwent surgery last week for a small meniscus tear in her right knee and is expected to be out four to six weeks, which would mean she would be back before the Irish enter their inaugural season in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
The 6-foot-3 senior averaged 13.8 points and 9.5 rebounds last season. McGraw said she hopes freshman Taya Reimer can help fill the void until Achonwa returns, but said the Irish need someone else to step forward to help ease the load.
"We need a 1-2 punch in the post and right now we've just got that one punch," McGraw said.
Reimer was a perfect 11-of-11 from the floor and made all five free throw attempts as the Irish beat California, Pa., 118-49, in an exhibition game Wednesday. She also had six rebounds and three assists.
Guard Kayla McBride, who was second on the team in scoring last season at 15.9 points a game, also sat out Wednesday's game with a sprained ankle. Forward Ariel Braker (5.4 points a game) sat out with a sore knee. Both players are expected to return to practice Saturday and be ready for the season-opener against N.C.-Wilmington on Nov. 9.
- KevinTrudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Toddler reported missing on South Side 50 min ago
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays 59 min ago
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos