Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
Looking for catching depth after losing Brian McCann to free agency, the Atlanta Braves have acquired Ryan Doumit from the Minnesota Twins for left-hander Sean Gilmartin.
The 32-year-old Doumit could share time with Evan Gattis, a rookie last season who is McCann's projected replacement as Atlanta's primary starter.
Doumit played his first seven seasons with Pittsburgh, then spent two years in Minnesota. He hit .247 with 14 homers and 55 RBIs this year, when he started only 43 games at catcher and also played in the outfield.
Gilmartin, the 28th overall pick in the 2011 amateur draft, was 3-8 with a 5.74 ERA at Triple-A Gwinnett last season.
The trade was announced Wednesday.
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city 22 min ago
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois 45 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 41 min ago
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court 40 min ago
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 7 in :77
- Benny the Bull on the Sears Tower
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos