Dodgers' Abreu accepts assignment to minors
Bobby Abreu has cleared waivers and accepted a minor-league assignment by the Los Angeles Dodgers, the veteran outfielder's agent said Thursday.Bobby Abreu cleared waivers and accepted a minor league assignment from the Los Angeles Dodgers, the veteran outfielder's agent said Thursday.
The Dodgers designated Abreu for assignment last week to create a spot on the roster after acquiring Shane Victorino in a trade with the Philadelphia Phillies. Abreu had a .359 on-base percentage in 70 games with Los Angeles but hit just two home runs in 179 at-bats.
Abreu decided to accept an assignment to the minors after the Dodgers were unable to find him a new team in a trade. He expects to rejoin the big league club in early September when the roster expands to 40 players.
"We discussed this with Bobby and the Dodgers, and we think this is his best chance to get back to the majors by Sept. 1, if not sooner," said Abreu's agent, Peter Greenberg.
Abreu, 38, has 2,434 hits and a .396 career on-base percentage in 17 seasons. He made two All-Star teams with the Phillies in 2004 and 2005.
Abreu began this season with the Los Angeles Angels. They released him in late April and he joined the Dodgers in early May. The Angels are still responsible for paying most of Abreu's $9 million salary this year.
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area 53 min ago
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision 48 min ago
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations 43 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- 7 in :77
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore down...
9 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos