Cuba routs China 12-0; Abreu hits grand slam
Jose Abreu hit a grand slam Monday to lead Cuba to a 12-0 rout over China in Group A of the World Baseball Classic.
FUKUOKA, Japan -- Jose Abreu hit a grand slam Monday to lead Cuba to a 12-0 rout over China in Group A of the World Baseball Classic.
Abreu drove in five runs, including the grand slam in the fifth inning, at Fukuoka Dome. The game was called under the tournament's mercy rule after the seventh inning.
Throughout the game, Cuba displayed the power that makes it one of the title contenders.
Alexei Bell hit a towering two-run homer to left to make it 4-0 in the fourth and Alfredo Despaigne put the result beyond doubt in the same inning when he doubled on a sharp ground ball to left, driving in Jose Fernandez and Frederich Cepeda to make it 6-0.
Fernandez singled in two more runs in the fifth before Abreu's grand slam.
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos