Cardinals hire Willie McGee as assistant to GM
The St. Louis Cardinals have hired former great Willie McGee as a special assistant to the general manager focusing on the minor leagues.JUPITER, Fla. -- The St. Louis Cardinals have hired former great Willie McGee as a special assistant to the general manager focusing on the minor leagues.
The 54-year-old McGee, added to the staff on Wednesday, served a special instructor at spring training last month. McGee is in the franchise top 10 in games played, triples, stolen bases and pinch hits and was a career .295 hitter over 18 seasons.
McGee was a member of the 1982 World Series championship team and was National League MVP in 1985 with a league-leading .353 average for a pennant-winning team. His batting average from 1985 and 216 hits are franchise bests for switch hitters.
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont 36 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos