San Jose mayor wants to talk A's with Selig
Saying he hopes to keep the matter out of the courts, San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed has requested a meeting with Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to discuss the Oakland A's pursuit of a San Jose ballpark.SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Saying he hopes to keep the matter out of the courts, San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed has requested a meeting with Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig to discuss the Oakland Athletics' pursuit of a San Jose ballpark.
Reed's letter asking for the sit-down -- sent on Tuesday -- said a meeting would also help "resolve any lingering issues about our commitment to having the A's home plate be located in San Jose," the San Jose Mercury News reported.
Selig assigned a special committee four years ago to study the proposed A's move to San Jose. The San Francisco Giants have objected on grounds they relied on territorial rights to the San Jose area when they built AT&T Park, now in its 13th season.
"I'm hoping it might motivate the commissioner to take some action sometime soon," Reed said of his letter to Selig, which was copied to A's co-owner Lew Wolff.
The A's have made no secret of their desire to leave Oakland for San Jose. They say a new ballpark in Silicon Valley could help the low-budget club become a big spender that wouldn't have to rely as much on revenue from other major league organizations.
Selig said in January the issue was on the "front burner."
Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney told the Mercury News the commissioner had not seen the mayor's letter and had no further comment.
San Jose officials already have approved environmental studies on a proposed ballpark near the HP Pavilion and Diridon rail station.
The City of Oakland, meanwhile, still believes it can build a new ballpark for the A's although Wolff has repeatedly said his franchise has exhausted its options in Oakland.
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 12 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 11 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos