Indians place reliever Pestano (elbow) on DL
The Indians will be without one of their most valuable arms for at least 10 days.CLEVELAND -- The Indians will be without one of their most valuable arms for at least 10 days.
The club placed reliever Vinnie Pestano on the 15-day disabled list with a sore right elbow Monday, a move they contemplated for several days before finally executing. Left-hander Nick Hagadone was recalled from Triple-A Columbus.
Cleveland placed Pestano on the DL shortly before the opener of a four-game series against the Oakland Athletics. Manager Terry Francona had expected Pestano to be available to face the A's, but the Indians are taking a cautious approach with the right-hander, who has a 2.25 ERA in eight appearances this season.
The Indians called the injury right elbow tendinitis, but the 28-year-old Pestano, who underwent Tommy John surgery in 2006, said he has been treated for discomfort in the elbow the past two seasons. Pestano has not pitched since the second game of a doubleheader against Kansas City on April 28.
He gave up two walks in one inning and said his elbow began bothering him following the outing.
Pestano was one of the AL's best relievers last season. He went 3-3 with a 2.57 ERA in 70 appearances, mostly as the setup man for All-Star closer Chris Perez.
Pestano will be eligible to be activated on May 16, as Hagadone's recall falls within a 10-day period of his most recent active date on the 25-man roster. Major League Baseball rules stipulate that Pestano's placement on the DL must be backdated to May 1, or the day after Hagadone's option to Columbus.
Hagadone had a 2.45 ERA during his first stint with the Indians.
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed 25 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler 10 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 13, 2014
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos