Giants put 3B Sandoval on DL with foot problem
The San Francisco Giants put third baseman Pablo Sandoval on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday because of a strained left foot.PITTSBURGH -- The San Francisco Giants put third baseman Pablo Sandoval on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday because of a strained left foot.
Sandoval will wear a walking boot for one week then be reevaluated. San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy was hopeful Sandoval will be ready to play when he is eligible to come off the DL on June 25.
Giants head athletic trainer Dave Groeschner disputed reports that the injury was a hairline fracture. He said that was an old injury that had showed up on the X-ray.
Sandoval is hitting .289 with eight home runs in 57 games this season. He helped the Giants sweep the Detroit Tigers last October to win their second World Series in three years by hitting three home runs in Game 1.
Infielder Nick Noonan was recalled from Triple-A Fresno to take the World Series MVP's roster spot before the Giants played Pittsburgh. Noonan was optioned to Fresno on Saturday after spending the entire season with the Giants.
Noonan hit .203 with one double in 59 at-bats for San Francisco. In one game with Fresno, he went 3 for 5 with a double and two RBIs.
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos