Giants put 3B Sandoval on DL with foot problem
The San Francisco Giants put third baseman Pablo Sandoval on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday because of a strained left foot.PITTSBURGH -- The San Francisco Giants put third baseman Pablo Sandoval on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday because of a strained left foot.
Sandoval will wear a walking boot for one week then be reevaluated. San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy was hopeful Sandoval will be ready to play when he is eligible to come off the DL on June 25.
Giants head athletic trainer Dave Groeschner disputed reports that the injury was a hairline fracture. He said that was an old injury that had showed up on the X-ray.
Sandoval is hitting .289 with eight home runs in 57 games this season. He helped the Giants sweep the Detroit Tigers last October to win their second World Series in three years by hitting three home runs in Game 1.
Infielder Nick Noonan was recalled from Triple-A Fresno to take the World Series MVP's roster spot before the Giants played Pittsburgh. Noonan was optioned to Fresno on Saturday after spending the entire season with the Giants.
Noonan hit .203 with one double in 59 at-bats for San Francisco. In one game with Fresno, he went 3 for 5 with a double and two RBIs.
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 14 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- New storm warning systems help save lives
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos