Coach, Griffin expect Clips' defense to improve
Los Angeles Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro believes his team's defense will get better over the final 13 games of the season, although his reasoning is based largely on how poor their defense has been of late.PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro believes his team's defense will get better over the final 13 games of the season, although his reasoning is based largely on how poor their defense has been of late.
"I don't think it can get any worse, so let's look on the bright side," Del Negro said after practice Friday. "Let's flip it around. Glass is half full, right?"
They are the fourth-worst team in defending the 3-pointer, allowing teams to shoot 37.8 percent, and are letting teams hit close to 50 percent from 3-point range in their 22 losses.
"Our bigs are getting stretched out a little bit," Del Negro said. "They have to have a little sense of urgency in closing out. Some guys can make that adjustment, and some guys are struggling with that but drilled it again today. That's obviously an area of concern."
Clippers forward Blake Griffin disagreed with Del Negro.
"It depends on our defensive strategy and our defensive principles for that game," Griffin said. "We switch them every single game. I don't see that, no, but I'm biased."
Griffin, however, did think the Clippers had the ability to turn around their defense before the playoffs begin next month.
"Our main focus of practice and our theme of practice has been defensively making sure we're executing our game plan," Griffin said. "Because like I said, we switch it up every game, depending on who we're playing and who has the ball and who's a threat for them."
After the Clippers' 101-72 win over the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday, Griffin said he wanted his team to get to the point where it didn't have to adjust to every opponent.
"We want our identity to be a defensive team," Griffin said. "We don't want to have to make adjustments for every single team and switch things up but to make teams adjust to us and the way we play."
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward 6 min ago
- Investigation continues after boy, 12, dies in Whiting... 6 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 41 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 37 min ago
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign 37 min ago
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship 49 min ago
- Fans gear up for Bulls, Blackhawks playoffs
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos